Cancer essentially cannot be categorized as an easily avoidable health problem, especially if you are genetically pre-disposed to it. However, this doesn’t mean that you cannot take any steps to reduce your risk of developing cancer. One of the best ways of fighting off cancer is by following a healthy diet that includes food items that boost your body’s immunity, and hence its ability to beat cancer.
At the same time, you should make a conscious effort to cut out those food items from your diet that have been found to increase a person’s risk of developing cancer. Cancer specialists across the world including those working at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad agree that a majority of cancer cases that come their way can be blamed on poor lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking, sedentary lifestyle, and unhealthy diet.
Cancer specialists at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad agree that making simple changes in one’s life such as quitting smoking and drinking, exercising, and following a healthy diet can go a long way in cancer prevention. This article focuses exclusively on anti-cancer diet, and lists essential food items and nutrients that aid in cancer prevention.
• Include plant-based foods in your diet. These are low in fat and have a high fibre content that helps in weight management and boosts the body’s immunity against cancer and other diseases. Fresh fruits, seasonal greens, whole grains, seeds, and nuts form the core of anti-cancer diet.
• Increase your fibre intake by substituting white rice and bread with brown rice and whole grain bread respectively. Develop the habit of eating fruits like apples and pears with their skins. Choose healthy snack options such as unbuttered popcorn over potato chips.
• Reduce your intake of red meat and exercise portion control. Choose leaner meats over processed ones and serve them as a side dish.
• Avoid saturated fats that are present in whole milk, eggs, butter, and red meat, and cut down on your intake of junk food. Get into the habit of label reading and substitute your regular cooking oil with healthier alternatives such as canola or olive oil.
• Increase your daily intake of water to ensure proper detoxification of your body.
• Use immunity-boosting spices such as ginger and garlic in your food preparations.
In conclusion, you can drastically reduce your risk of developing cancer by making the smart food choices mentioned above. These are simple to follow and will not only aid in cancer prevention but improve your overall health as well.